|Troubleshooting Access to IWU
|Off Campus Library
You have been trying and trying to get into some of the library databases
that you were introduced to in class by an OCLS librarian and it just isn't
working! Here are some things to check before calling OCLS for help:
- Make sure you are online. Check some other sites to be sure you can
connect to them, e.g. a favorite search engine site or news site.
- Check to be sure you are using the correct last name and bar code number
or for some databases they require a user name/password, etc. for the database
you are trying to view. Call/email
OCLS for your unique bar code or the needed username/password. (You
must be an IWU student, faculty or employee.)
- Check to see if you are using AOL or any of the Internet service providers
owned by AOL, e.g. CompuServe, Gateway, etc. If so, read the tutorial on
- You may encounter problems using Netscape. If that is the
problem, try using MSIE. Any version of MSIE higher than 5.x will work fine.
usually the default browser setting so if you have manually changed that
- NetScape look under EDIT/PREFERENCES/ADVANCED
- MSIE look under TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/ADVANCED
- Cookies must be enabled on your browser. Again, this is the default
setting for the browser, so if you disabled cookies, it must be set to accept
- NetScape: EDIT/PREFERENCES/ADVANCED
- MSIE: TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/ADVANCED
- If you are going through a firewall, e.g. personal computer or company
network, you may have problems connecting to the databases. On a
company/school network, you will need to talk to your system administrator to
resolve the access problems. If using a personal home computer firewall,
check with your documentation, HELP screens or software technical support.
- Try deleting the cache/history files associated with your browser.
- Netscape: EDIT/PREFERENCES/Clear history
- MSIE: TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS Clear history and clear
Temporary Internet files.
- If you use a pop-up blocker, be sure that it is disabled or enabled
for certain links, i.e. any of the SilverPlatter Databases.
- If you are trying to access any of the EBSCOHost databases and don't see
Indiana Wesleyan Univ in the upper righthand screen, please contact OCLS for a
- If you have worked through all of these issues, please call OCLS.